71 Years of Dates
By Cristina Miller
Presidents' Day is upon us and with this federal holiday comes the busy weekend and with this weekend comes the Riverside County Date Festival, now in its 71st year!
Being born and raised in the Coachella Valley, the Date Fest has been one of the events that this desert rat always attends!
Here's a few things to check out:
- A myriad of exhibit halls showcasing abnormally large citrus fruits and kitchen appliance demonstrations.
- Ostriches getting brooms waved in their faces by craggy-faced men in makeshift chariots.
- Deep-fried EVERYTHING from avocados to Oreos.
- THE GRAVITRON -- trust me, it's worth it. Unless, you have a thing about being enclosed in a flying saucer spinning at an ungodly speed, then try the Zipper.
- The various carnival games sprinkled throughout the fairgrounds, helmed by the harbingers of traveling ruse and chance: carnies -- yes! I do believe I can cover that white circle with these four metal discs like you showed me! -- they get me every time.
- The petting zoo - the emo-haired alpaca and the Patagonian mara are my favorites! Be sure to wash those hands, foot and mouth, you know!
- Lastly, the concerts in the Fantasy Springs Pavilion - Cheap Trick, The Eli Young Band, War and Voz de Mando will be performing -- who needs Coachella Fest?!
Friday, February 17 through Sunday, February 26, 2017
Fair open EVERYDAY from 10am-10pm.
Carnival is open 11am-10pm Tues-Thurs and 10am-midnight on weekends.
Adults (13 - 54): $10
Seniors (55+): $9
Youth (6-12): $8
Children (5 & under): FREE
Veterans plus three guests are admitted free every day with proper identification
Unlimited Carnival Rides: Tuesday – Thursday: $25 // Friday – Monday: $28 // Season Pass: $30
For more information visit the Date Festival website.